Saturday, June 19, 2021

 

Good afternoon everyone 

 

On the radio this morning I heard Rudd Kleinpaste, aka the Bug Man, say that it is autumn.  But it jolly feels like winter! Today is the first time this year that I have the heater turned on before 3.00 pm - it’s very damp, wet and dreary and I’m not stepping outdoors today except to take the wheelie bin out.

 

I have to renege on my intentions to have a demonstration on making joongs.  My auntie from the restaurant is inundated with orders and can’t get away at lunchtime.  However, I have a Plan B.  From our Group’s combined knowledge and experience, we will have Mei Chung demonstrate her lovely egg tarts, or daan tarts in Cantonese.  My family has enjoyed her offerings over the years and I’ve convinced her that it is time our Group get a taste of it also.

 

The egg tart was sold in Guangzhou in the early 20th century, inspired by the English custard tart. Guangzhou is located in a handy position to have its cuisine influenced by outsiders.  The egg tart was invented by a western style department store to invent new pastries each week to attract customers from competitors. It was after WWII that the tart was brought to Hong Kong tea houses.  The original tart had a flaky pastry and over time, the short pastry version was introduced. Mei will by making the short pastry version.

 

If you are interested in tasty Cantonese style joongs, I am taking orders for them.  I will buy them from Golden Garden Restaurant.  The fillings include split mung beans, peanuts, dried shrimps, chestnut, salted egg yolk, dried scallops, sausage and pork.  They are $5.00 each.  You can pay on pickup.  I will order them and they will be available to be picked up at our June WG Meeting.  No deliveries.  Please order by return email.

 

Whilst I’m writing to you I’m also watching the Taiwanese movie “Eat Drink Man Woman” directed by Ang Lee on Netflix.  Although it is a 1994 movie, the story is still relevant and the kitchen and cooking skills are very impressive. Tonight sees the start of the 2021 season of Australian MasterChef at 7.30 on TV2 - I love the way Melissa Leong eats without smearing her bright lipstick! 

 

The kitchen roster are the Doves (Ida Tai, Rose Luey, Jessie Edmonds, May Young and Gillian Young.  I swapped with Gillian last month as she was in Wellington). Doves include Mei Chung but she will be demonstrating and we’ll have her tarts! 

 

I hope to see many of you on Saturday week.  In the meantime, stay well and keep warm.

 

Sofia at yum cha yesterday. After she polished off her two steamed char shiu baos and half a beef ball, the only thing to tie her down was YouTube. 

 

 

Cheers

 

COLLEENT

 

No comments:

Post a Comment