Saturday, November 16, 2019

I think that spring has finally arrived. I know this because...I’ve shed my polo neck jumpers!  I feel the cold around my neck (says someone who has at least 20 scarves and 12 pashminas. Also I have been given a bunch of gorgeous crimson peonies (from my baby sister visiting from Wellington). Peonies is the national flower of China.

I hope that you all - oops, those over 65 yo only - have downloaded the Gold Card app on to your mobiles.  They have some interesting discounts.  You must also go to the seniors movies at Events - usually monthly, $11 plus real coffee and cookies.

I apologise for the lateness of this email. But I wanted to take us to somewhere new for our last outing of the year.  One of the ladies suggested going to the Secret Gardens in Te Puke but it is a seven hour return trip which makes it a very long day especially I had wanted to add a trip to the Comvita Factory.

Then I thought about the Glenbrook Vintage Rail steam train but the train does not run on Saturdays! To charter the train for a 15 kms return trip to Waiuku costs $1400!  So that’s off the menu.

But we are going to Waiuku to see the Lighthouse at Manukau Heads. I have to advise that there are 100 steps to get to the top of the lighthouse (how else do you get to the light?). For those who can’t do the steps, the view from the base is not too bad. 

After the lighthouse we will have a potter around Waiuku - plenty of food outlets or you can bring your own lunch. I believe there is a museum there also. Several of my contemporaries from Pukekohe were born in the Waiuku hospital.

After lunch we shall visit the Leafy Hollow Gardens. They are known for their lavender BUT the lavender is not in bloom yet.  They have other flowers blooming and an interesting shop.  Christmas stocking fillers.....

The trip will cost $27.00 pp.

Yes  we can do up pick up for the southern belles.

Please let me know ASAP if you are coming. The bus seats 46 passengers.  I can guarantee a good nap on the way home.



Talking about Christmas.  The NZCA Christmas Party is on Saturday 30 November at Mangere Community Centre. Thank you to those who have already generously donated goodies for gift baskets as raffle prizes BUT we need plenty more. Please bring your donations to the outing or if you want, leave them at Senior Lifestyle and we can uplift them from there.

As a matter of transparency, all monies we make from the sales of raffle tickets go to a chosen registered charity.  I would like you to think about a charity which is usually under the radar and does not get much donations from corporates.  I think these local and small charities are worth our consideration even though we are small donors. Last year through your generosity and contribution from NZCA we donated $800 to Star Jam.

Hope 46 of you and/or friends can join us for the last outing for the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment